I found this weeks readings to be very compelling, and I specifically want to draw on portions of Mays (2017), and Kral and Schwab’s (2012) articles.

In the Mays (2017) readings, I found the concept of Open Pedagogy to be very intriguing, and I really appreciated their thorough description of what OER’s were. Thinking about my personal cost during university and how it has transformed over time, I thought back to my cost for textbooks at the beginning of my university experience to the end. My very first Semester at VIU I spent over $500 buying required textbooks for first year, completing 6 courses throughout the entire academic year. These courses were 100 level in a range of subjects. This last semester of online university at UVIC, where I took 5 upper level courses within the summer semester, I spent $0 on textbooks and required materials. This drastic change in cost was because of the use of OER’s in every single one of my online classes taken at UVIC. The majority of my materials were accessed through open Journals or through streaming videos on Youtube. Now that I am heading into a post bachelor program, I am on the hook for $750 dollars to buy required textbooks and materials. My question is if these materials and textbooks would still be required if VIU were to shutdown for another semester because of COVID? Were professors only using OER’s because we were all working remotely and strictly online? I wish there was a way for students to have the option to buy materials and textbooks if they wanted when learning in higher education, but that professors made the materials accessible online through the use of OER’s for those who do not have the funds to buy such expensive materials. I know that OER’s for textbook costs only made up a small portion of the article, but it is something that I related to personally and wished to focus on specifically in my discussion. 

I then make the connection to Kral and Schwab’s (2012) article, where they discuss the lack of access Aboriginal children have to technology and other online resources outside of school. Throughout my academic career, I have had time to work in low-income schools through shadowing, before and after school care programs, as well as summer camps. I have seen first hand the struggles that children, and especially Indigenous children, have had trying to access technology outside of their school, and the frustration and embarrassment that comes with not being able to access materials made only accessible online and outside of school time. As a future teacher, I want to ensure that every student has the opportunity to engage with technology in a way that encourages their learning, not depletes them and makes them feel self-conscious. Taking the time to do technology based homework during class time, either through the use of a computer lab, through I-pad use, or as a group project through a white board projector, I can ensure that no student feels discouraged or is left unable to complete an assignment due to the lack of access to technology. These are simple tools that teachers can use to allow for a more equal and stress-free environment within their classroom. Working with your students to encourage learning rather than against them, especially when using something such as technology that is not accessible to everyone, can facilitate a more healthy and respectful environment.

Kral, I. & Schwab, R.G. (2012). Chapter 4: Design Principles for Indigenous Learning Spaces. Safe Learning Spaces. Youth, Literacy and New Media in Remote Indigenous Australia. ANU Press. http://doi.org/10.22459/LS.08.2012

Mays, E. (Ed.). (2017). A guide to making open textbooks with students. Rebus Community.