This week I found both readings very interesting, however I was drawn to the Major reading the most. I found the involvement of the personal accounts of courses from other universities to be very intriguing to me. As I am a Sociology major, many of the courses I took throughout my program were electives from different disciplines, really anything I found super interesting. I found myself spending hours online at UVIC looking up the descriptions of classes and enrolling in the ones I found A) interesting from an academic standpoint, but also B) that were created in a way that I knew would facilitate my best learning.Ā 

I spoke on this last week in one of my pod groups discussion posts, I believe it was Claire, and I stated that I have always been drawn to online, asynchronous classes. When I was in high school, I actually had the opportunity to take many of my classes online, and this is where I believed I built a foundation for time management and self-teaching. I enjoyed the flexibility of being able to produce work when I was feeling the most motivated, and I enjoyed that I could make my own schedule and complete modules on my own time. Reading through some of the professors personal stories, I realized that in my head I was deciding whether or not I would be interested in taking the courses based off of their descriptions. The class and professor that stuck out to me the most was Lisa Lane, page 88. I think the Moodle layout is what drew me in initially and made me feel the most comfortable, as this is the type of system I have the closest connection to (through working on BrightSpace, D2L, and other similar systems). As I am a very introverted person naturally (which is super interesting considering I am going into a very extroverted career), I enjoyed that the focus of Lisaā€™s course wasnā€™t on community (Major, 2015, p. 89) (as harsh as that sounds). I think I enjoyed Lisaā€™s take on inviting people to participate in online discussions, but not having an entire course focused on building a community of the class a whole. When I continued reading through other professors classes, I could not believe how uncomfortable and out of place I felt reading their descriptions. It wasnā€™t until page 98 when a quote was brought forward that stated ā€œAll of this technology would have been daunting just a few short weeks ago, but Iā€™m starting to realize now why weā€™re pushed to get out of our comfort zone and try it. My students are definitely going to benefit from this knowledge. . . . Try new things. You never knowā€”what you learn could change your lifeā€ (Major, 2015), that I realized how important it is for me as a student to push myself to places where I donā€™t feel as comfortable, because this is where the best learning can actually occur.Ā 

What Majorā€™s reading made me think was that when I become a teacher, as much as I am going to facilitate what each individual student needs from me, and focus on working one on one with them to allow them to engage with the best version of themselves, I am also consciously going to push my students outside of their limits so that they can feel that breakthrough when they learning something new, something that they originally felt may have been very uncomfortable or daunting. That is truthfully what learning is all about.Ā 

Major, C. H. (2015).Ā Teaching Online ā€“ A Guide to Theory, Research, and Practice. Retrieved fromĀ http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=3318874 (pp. 76-108)Ā